Parliamentary Day of Awareness
CIPH and the Mechanical Contractors Association of Canada (MCAC) hold an annual Parliamentary Day of Awareness each year in Ottawa. On this day, key executives of both associations meet with senior officials and Parliamentarians to enhance the profile of the industry in government circles and discuss key items of mutual concern.
May 9 & 10, 2016
CIPH and MCAC joined forces for the 2016 Parliamentary Day of Awareness on May 9 and May 10, 2016. It will be sponsored by Senator Donald Plett.
- Monday, May 9th, 2016:
Meetings with key federal departments under the new Liberal Government.
- Tuesday, May 10th, 2016:
Joint Executive Breakfast and Reception on Parliament Hill.
Key Issues Discussed During Day of Awareness Held on May 9 & 10, 2016:
Parliamentarians and other key officials that were met with included:
- Patricia Fuller, Director General and team, Natural Resources Canada
- Robert Carberry, Treasury Board Secretariat and team, Regulatory Cooperation Council
- Phillip Rizcallah, Director, Canadian Codes Center and Doug Crawford, Chairman of the Canadian Commission on Building and Fire Codes, National Research Council
- Marco Mendicino, MP Eglinton-Lawrence
- Marwan Tabbara, MP Kitchener South-Hespeler
- Kelly McCauley, MP Edmonton West
- Omar Alghabra, MP Mississauga Centre
- John Brassard, MP Barrie-Innisfil
- The Hon. Judy Foote, PC, MP Bonavista-Burin-Trinity, Minister of Public Services and Procurement Canada
- Irene Mathyssen, MP London-Fanshawe
- Kelly Block, MP Carlton Trail-Eagle Creek
- Erin Weir, MP Regina-Lewvan
- Ken Hardie, MP Fleetwood-Port Kells
- Yasmin Ratansi, MP Don Valley East
- Matt Jeneroux, MP Edmonton Riverbend
- Dan Ruimy, MP Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge
- Bob Bratina, MP Hamilton East-Stoney Creek
- Shaun Chen, MP Scarborough North
- Katie Locke, Manager, Stakeholder Relations and Senior Advisor; Stephanie Delorme, Stakeholder Relations Advisor; Virginie Bonneau, Policy Advisor; Kaisha Bruetsch, Tour and Events Advisor, Office of the Hon. Rona Ambrose
- The Hon. Amarjeet Sohi, PC, MP Edmonton Mill Woods, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities; Mike Burton Director of Parliamentary Affairs
- Bev Shipley, MP Lambton-Kent-Middlesex
- The Hon. Ed Fast, MP Abbotsford
- Alexandra Mendes, MP Brossard-Saint-Lambert
- Daniel Blaikie, MP Elmwood-Transcona
- Jennifer O’Connell, MP Pickering-Uxbridge
- The Hon. Lisa Raitt, MP Milton
- Jamie Schmale, MP Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock
- Geng Tan, MP Don Valley North
By engaging with so many influential officials and elected representatives, CIPH and MCAC were able to drive home our positions on Prompt Payment Provisions and Uniform and Harmonized Model Codes and Regulations as well as further reinforce the status of both associations as the “go-to voice” for regulators, government officials and other key influencers who deal with issues affecting our industry.
Bill S-224, the Canada Prompt Payment Act, reached second reading in the Senate on April 19th.
“This initiative is a powerful demonstration of the strength of CIPH in representing the Voice of the Industry in front of those making important regulatory decisions that impact all of us. This year’s event resulted in new contacts, fresh, innovative ideas and tangible progress on several priority issues for CIPH and MCA Canada. An outstanding ‘Day on the Hill’!” – CIPH Chairman, Siân Smith (Noble Corporation).
The CIPH/MCA Canada Parliamentary Day of Awareness is a joint event held annually on Parliament Hill in Ottawa. Click here for a complete copy of the CIPH/MCA Canada Parliamentary Day of Awareness Briefing Document.
Contact us for more information.